We are delighted that you are considering training to teach in a local Bury school with Bury Teaching Schools Alliance. For details on which courses you can apply for, please view the list of courses we offer. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
What Are We Looking For?
We are looking for inspiring, knowledgeable and ambitious trainees who are passionate and enthusiastic about teaching to make a real difference to young peoples' lives and futures. If this is you, and you have the following attributes, we want to hear from you!
- The confidence and ability to engage with children
- Commitment to excellence in education
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- A commitment to working hard
- An ability to establish good working relationships
- Commitment to a professional team
- Flexibility - a crucial characteristic that is vital in this active and constantly changing climate
Why Choose Us?
- We offer placements in local Bury schools where you make the difference to local children
- All of our schools offer experienced mentors who are ready to support you and welcome you as a member of staff from the outset
- We provide you, in addition to what is offered by MMU, an extensive CPD programme delivered by Local, National and Specialist Leaders of Education
- Our team are dedicated to providing the best training from the very start of your teaching journey and will support you throughout the programme
- We support you not to just train, but to enter the teaching profession as an NQT, equipped with the relevant skills to begin your successful teaching career - 100% of our School Direct students, to date, secured employment upon completion of our course.
What Have Previous Trainees Said About Training with BTSA?
- BTSA team have been extremely approachable, helpful and informative.
- The training sessions were brilliant and the alliance is supportive
- The BTSA team were always available for support when asked.
- Training sessions were excellent; communication was fantastic, team highly supportive
- Super CPD sessions, very informative and structured and have been so useful.
We have a 100% success rate with our trainees securing a teaching post following completion of our training (since starting our School Direct programmes).
100% of our trainees rated the support provided by BTSA as Excellent (Primary and Secondary, 2018 - 2019).
To view more of what our trainees have said, please visit our Testimonials page.
What Do You Need To Apply?
If you have what we are looking for, and we sound like the right people to nurture and release your potential, then we would welcome your application to train to teach with us.
If you are unsure about whether you meet the below entry criteria please contact Jo or Lynsey on 0161 766 1597 (option 4) or by email: BTSA@bury.gov.uk
All applicants must have a minimum 2:2 degree. For those applying for Secondary, the degree modules must be at least 50% relevant. You may still apply if you do not fulfil this criteria, however you may be required to complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course and we will advise you of this. If we require you to complete an SKE then this would need to be completed before enrolling to train to teach with us.
For Primary: GCSEs grade C/4 or above to include English Language, Maths & Science (can be pending). We will consider applicants who do not already have Science as we can offer the MMU Science equivalency test. Alternatively, we can accept equivalency tests from other ITT providers. Please note that the equivalency option is only available for Science.
For Secondary: Applicants require grade C/4 or above in Maths and English Language. You can apply with these pending, or we can offer you the option to sit MMU equivalency tests.
All successful applicants must complete Professional QTS Skills Tests before course enrolment. Please note, this may change for future recruitment and we will update this in due course.
Whilst beneficial, gaining school experience is no longer a condition of entry to the School Direct course. Central government has recently issued updated guidelines on selection criteria for Initial Teacher Training programmes. In light of this guidance, applicants are no longer required to have any school experience in order to be eligible to apply.
If however, you still wish to gain school experience, as preparation for your chosen profession and training, we can help you to arrange this.
QTS Professional Skills Tests:
At present, all applicants must take and pass the English and Maths skills tests before enrolling on the course. This may change for future recruitment and we will update you as we become aware of how this will be measured.
How to Apply:
We anticipate that applications to train to teach with us will open on UCAS in October 2019. We will add the date once this is confirmed but urge you to take this time to strengthen your application ready for the opening date.
We offer School Direct courses in Primary, Secondary and also offer SEN specific (Secondary) placements for those who wish to broaden their school experience. For full details on what courses are available please view our 2020 - 2021 courses here.
Bursaries and Loans:
Details about Bursaries and Loans can be found on the Department for Education's website.